Frequently asked questions.
+ What kind of ideas are you looking for?
The most innovative and entrepreneurial business use of a Mercedes-Benz Vito. Initial submissions will be assessed based on:
- Team credentials and experience: what you and your team have done previously.
- Product or business idea: including the uniqueness of the business problem or need you are trying to solve.
- Van utilisation: how you plan on realising your vision with the Vito van.
- Viability: how practically and commercially feasible your idea is.
- Innovation and creativity: the creativity you employ to reimagine the inside of the van for your idea.
+ How do I apply?
You can apply through this website. The application form details everything you need to submit.
+ What's the application deadline?
5pm AEST on July 28th.
+ How many teams are you taking?
We will be selecting 6 teams to present their ideas in person at the 1 day event in Melbourne on August 17th.
+ Do I need to be living in Victoria to take part?
You can enter if you live anywhere in Australia or New Zealand. Selected finalists will be flown to Melbourne for the August 17th event.
+ Does the idea have to be based on an existing business?
No it doesn't have to be. Your idea can also be a new business that you and your team have made up, but you need to have a shared registered ABN or Company number.
+ How many people can I have in my team?
You can have a maximum of 3 people in your team, but you must all fall under the same registered ABN or Company number.
+ When will you announce the teams who are accepted to partake in Hack My Van?
We will announce the teams in the 1st week of August. You will receive a phone call or an email letting you know if your team has been selected. We'll also notify you if you didn't get through.
+ What will be happening on the day?
You will be presenting your idea in person and answering questions by a panel of judges.
+ What do I need to bring on the day?
Please bring with you the following:
- A 60 second script explaining your idea
- A comprehensive writeup of your idea and solution
- Lots of images detailing your idea (at least 5 images) or a video - some images will be supplied for you to use
- Team headshots and profiles
- Statements on why you are passionate about your idea
- Statements on why the Vito works for your idea
- Ideas for how to make your pitch come alive. We encourage props to interact with the on-site Vito, stories and human drama
You will need to make a 7-10 minute presentation (using video, keynote, powerpoint, PDF or a combination) including the above items. Please ensure you have all your resources on a USB (and a back up USB) to present from the on-site laptop. You will have time before the event starts to test that your USB and media work.
+ How will we pitch our idea?
We will have a laptop and screens available for you to connect your USB to. There will also be a Mercedes-Benz Vito in the middle of the room that you can utilise during your presentation.
+ How will the pitch work?
You will have approximately 7-10 minutes to pitch. You are encouraged to include the Mercedes-Benz Vito van during your presentation and visual props. There will be a panel of 4-6 judges, including Shane Delia, award winning chef and restaurateur, and Diane Tarr, Managing Director of Mercedes-Benz Australia. We'll be filming the pitches and creating some online films with the footage. We will release some more information on the format of the pitches closer to the event.
+ How will the panel be judging the ideas?
The judges will be assessing the final ideas based on:
- Product or business idea
- Van utilisation
- Innovation and creativity
- Presentation and pitch
+ Which assets will be available to me before the event?
We will send a kit of resources for you to play around with. 1 week before the event, you'll also submit a list of questions to a Mercedes-Benz engineer - you will be able to discuss them during a scheduled phone call. The kit will include:
- 2D models
- Optional equipment lists
- Electronic demos in and around the van
+ Tell me about this amazing prize
The winning team will win a Mercedes-Benz Vito Van 114 Long Wheel Base Automatic Transmission with Driving Assistance Package, valued at up to $52,782 Drive Away including GST. If you would like to know more about the Vito, you can read more here. We'll also be giving out 3 RedZed cash grants for the runner ups:
- $5k cash grant for 1st runner up
- $2.5k cash grant for 2nd runner up
See the Terms and Conditions for more information.
+ Will there be food?
There will be a delicious morning tea with fresh fruit, pastries and barista coffee.
+ Still have questions?
Contact Dominica at email@example.com